REN , while accomplishing its mission of public service in the national energy sector, is committed to preserve and promote sustainable development principles, aiming to continuously create value, for its shareholders and stakeholders.
The strength of our performance is based not only on our conduct, but also on the behaviour of those with whom we maintain a relationship. For this reason, REN intends to work with suppliers who share those same values and principles.
REN subscribes to United Nations' Global Compact, therefore the writing of this document was based on the 10 fundamental principles therein recommended, principles which focus on the areas of human rights, labour practices, environmental protection and anti-corruption policies, and which are based on universally accepted declarations.
Based on these principles, and for believing that a transparent and socially responsible relationship between a company and its suppliers must be founded in clear and defined principles, REN developed this document aiming to communicate to all its suppliers, current and future, its values as an entity which uses the market for the supply of goods and services.
REN undertakes to guide the selection of its suppliers by principles of equity, transparency and efficiency in the relationships it establishes, aiming to:
• Simplify procedures and minimize the bureaucratic burden, thus eliminating unnecessary costs;
• Pay timely, and accordingly to what has been established in the contract;
• Promote a closer relationship with suppliers, trying to avoid disputes, and seeking to solve them amicably, in order to avoid the use of judicial channels.
All suppliers of REN Group undertake to comply with the principles defined in this Code of Conduct, the details of which are given below.
The lack of Compliance with the Supplier's Code of Conduct may result in REN terminating the relationship with the Supplier, depending on the seriousness of the violation and on the specific circumstances.
Principles of Conduct of REN
The Supplier's Code of Conduct addresses three fundamental areas of business conduct:
I.Support and respect for fundamental human rights in the workplace
The applicant and potential supplier of REN Group states its support and respect for the fundamental human rights in the workplace. REN expects its suppliers to commit to the obedience of the Conventions of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), declaring and ensuring that its workers fully enjoy all the rights and duties defined in national legislation and International Conventions, without any restrictions.
• Prohibition of child labour. All suppliers of REN Group ensure that there will be no use of child labour. Only workers older than 15 years of age shall be hired, with the guarantee that the minimum mandatory schooling age of their native countries is respected (Convention no. 182 of the ILO). Young people under the age of 18 shall not carry out work which, due to its nature or circumstances, may harm their health, safety or education (Convention no. 182 of the ILO).
• Working hours. All suppliers of REN Group ensure that the work schedule of their employees respect at least the requirements enshrined in national legislation, national agreements and/or industry standards (Conventions nos. 1 and 47 and Recommendation no. 116 of the ILO). The provision of additional working hours shall be voluntary whenever possible, and shall not be demanded as a rule, nor may it constitute a form of replacement for insufficient regular salaries, and will always be compensated according to national laws and with what is displayed in Collective Conventions.
• Decent Wage Policy. All suppliers of REN Group ensure that their workers receive salaries, allowances and other benefits, equally to what is defined in national legislation and International Conventions (Conventions nos.94 and 95 and Recommendation no. 135 of ILO).
• Any type of inhumane treatment or threat of treatment .All suppliers of REN Group ensure that their workers are not subject to any situation of inhumane treatment or threat of treatment, including harassment or sexual abuse, physical punishment, physical or moral coercion, or verbal abuse.
• Professional Development. All suppliers of REN Group undertake to promote the professional development of their workers, ensuring the adequacy of their skills to the jobs performed.
II.Respect for the applicable rules and principles concerning the environment, health and safety in the workplace
II. Respect for the applicable rules and principles concerning the environment, health and safety in the workplace
All suppliers of REN Group undertake to comply with the obligations regarding the environment, and with health and safety of the workplace, by committing to ensure compliance with the legislation, regulations and requirements applicable to their activities.
• Respect for the Environment. All suppliers of REN Group undertake to minimise environmental impacts resulting from its activities, promoting the rational use of natural resources and prevention of pollution.
• Health and Safety in the workplace. All suppliers of REN Group undertake to ensure that relevant aspects of safety in the workplace are systematically secured and that the workplace do not represent any risk to the workers' health (Convention no. 155 of the ILO). Appropriate training in the area of safety in the workplace must be given
• Management Systems. REN expects its suppliers to have internal controls which allow them to assess and confirm compliance with the legislation and regulations in force.
III. Ensuring the maintenance of high standards of ethics and business integrityAll suppliers of REN Group undertake to guide its actions by the highest standards of individual integrity and dignity.
• Equality of treatment and non-discrimination. All suppliers of REN Group undertake to guide its actions by the highest standards of individual integrity and dignity, and to ensure that there shall be no discriminatory behaviour at work, so that all workers enjoy equality of opportunity and treatment, regardless of their ethnic origin, colour, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, age, political opinion, social background or any other characteristic protected by law (Conventions nos. 100 and 11 of the ILO).
• Ethics. All suppliers of REN Group undertake not to offer or accept any offer (goods, money, entertainment, recreational activities), avoiding situations which may originate a conflict of interests.
• Integrity and compliance with the law. All suppliers of REN Group ensure that its workers reveal themselves as upstanding individuals whose professional performance is guided by strict moral values, such as honesty, transparency, and respect for laws and regulations.
• Confidentiality .All suppliers of REN Group must respect intellectual property, trade secrets and other confidential information, exclusive or reserved, and must not use or disclose any of that information, except for cases where REN gives permission to do so. All information or data regarding the operations of REN must be treated by the Suppliers as confidential, unless they become public.
• Business integrity. All suppliers of REN Group undertake to show respect for business integrity, without any type of bribery, corruption, extortion and the like. All businesses must be transparent and rigorously reflected in the respective records and accounts.