In 2010, ENONDAS received from the PortugueseState a public concession for the generation of wave energy in a pilot zone. The public concession is for 45 years and it includes authorisation for the installation of infrastructure and connection to the public grid. Enondas has adopted the trading name of Ocean Plug.
The Portuguese Pilot Zone (ZP) covers an area of approximately 320 km2 and it is located near S. Pedro de Moel, between Figueira da Foz and Nazaré.
Its basic aim is to become an open space on the Atlantic coast devoted to the development of marine-based energy, with particular emphasis on wave energy.
The contract was signed on 20 October 2010, and it established the duties of the management entity as:
• Promote the installation and maintenance of the common infrastructure in the Pilot Area, including the ones necessary for the use of corridors connecting to electrical grid, the nautical infrastructure to support the installation and maintenance of energy parks and the support infrastructure of the surveillance and security systems of the Pilot Area to be installed by the competent authorities;
• Licensing the installation of prototypes and wave energy farms in the Pilot Zone, and any changes, modifications and extensions thereto;
• Fostering and monitoring the installation, testing and operation activities for the abovementioned devices;
• Promoting the maintenance and update of common infrastructure (grid connections, nautical, surveillance and security infrastructure) in the Pilot Zone;
• Fostering the environmental and geophysical description and ensuring public access to data;
• Fostering publicity initiatives and training experts in the field of environmental and social-economic impacts;
• Propose the value of the tariff to be used for the projects developed.
Based on these competences, ENONDAS drafted a Pilot Zone Development Plan:
- Development of the Pilot Zone to receive in pre-commercial and proof of concept stages, generators of electricity (based on wave energy devices);
- Objective - Power injection in the Distribution Grid, up to 80 MW.;
- The concessionaire of the national distribution grid of electricity ensures the building, near the pilot area, of the infrastructure necessary to receive the electrical power supplied by the promoters, to a global power up to 80 MW.
- Objective - Power Injection in the Transmission Grid, up to 250 MW;
- The concessionaire of the national transmission grid of electricity ensures the building, near the pilot area, of the infrastructure necessary to receive the electrical power supplied by the promoters, to a global power up to 250 MW.
- Development of the Access Regulation
- Development of the Environmental Description