In order to reduce loss of biodiversity, especially with regard to birdlife, a very important area of REN's activity involves compensatory measures following the environmental impact assessment of new infrastructures.
1. Number of trees felled (construction of new RNT and RNTGN infrastructures)
After having compiled the information available on the different construction projects, below is a calculation of the number of trees felled, per construction for REN Eléctrica, REN Gasodutos and REN Armazenagem. This calculation takes into account not only the number of trees felled but also the area covered. In the latter case the figure is based on an average density estimate (trees/ha) for each region.
In 2014, approximately 470 000 trees were felled in REN construction work, representing a forest area of around 290 ha.
In 2014, the major projects were:
• L.CLEJ1 400kV + 220kV, dupla c/ OPGW: 34%
• L.Modificações da L.CL.EJ2/MC, a 220kV: 16%
• L.Caniçada-Riba D'Ave/Guim. abert p/FAFE: 17%
• Linha Vieira do Minho-Pedralva 1, a 400 kV: 16%
2. Number of trees planted (conversion of access route, offsetting measures, landscaping integration, etc.)
With regard to work controlled by ACSO-SP, we can confirm that in 2014 approximately 63.500 trees were planted, in an area of around 230 ha, further to the following projects:
• Falagueira-Castelo Branco: (53,3 ha) 53 646 plants
• Pedralva-Oleiros: (21,5 ha) 5 924 plants
• Sines-Portimão: (14,6 ha) 4 062 plants
The compensatory measures that are being implemented, from 2013, in the Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro are directed to Eagle of Bonelli and consist of the implementation of management measures of habitat for prey species rabbit and Red-legged Partridge. It is also held specific monitoring of Bonelli's Eagle.