07 December 2020

Renewable production covers 56% of the consumption in October

Renewable production supplied 56% of domestic electricity consumption in November, including net exports, and non-renewable accounted for the remaining 44%.

In November, natural gas consumption increased 2.3% year on year, with the conventional segment shrinking 0.1% and the power production segment growing 6.7%. At the end of November, the accumulated annual consumption showed a negative variation of 1.4%, with the conventional segment registering a decline of 5.0% and the power production segment growing 5.1%.

Electricity consumption fell 5.1% year on year in November, or 3.8% when correcting for the effects of temperature and the number of working days. The accumulated annual variation is negative, at 3.5%, or 3.9%, when correcting for temperature and working days.

In November, the hydropower capability index was close to the average regime, registering 0.96 (historical average of 1). In wind generation, conditions were less favourable, with the corresponding index at 0.88 (historical average of 1). Renewable production supplied 56% of consumption (including net exports), while non-renewable supplied the remaining 44%. The foreign trade balance favoured exports, and was the highest this year, equivalent to 17% of domestic consumption.

From January to November, the annual hydropower capability index stood at 0.97 (historical average of 1), whereas the wind-power capability index was at 0.92 (historical average of 1). During this period, renewable production supplied 57% of consumption, broken down into 24% for hydropower, 24% for wind power, 7% for biomass and around 3% for photovoltaics. Non-renewable production supplied 40% of consumption, mainly with natural gas, with coal accounting for around 4% of consumption. The foreign trade balance supplied the remaining 3% of the domestic consumption.


Receive all the details of the operation,
trends and news we share
with all the energy.

Frequency *