04 November 2020

Renewable production covers 57% of the consumption in October

Renewable production supplied 57% of domestic electricity consumption in October, including net exports, and non-renewable supplied the remaining 43%.

Electricity consumption fell 2.2% year-on-year in October, or 1.7% when correcting for the effects of temperature and the number of working days. The annual cumulative showed a negative variation of 3.4%, or 3.9% when correcting for temperature and working days.

Also in October, the hydropower capability index stood at 1.01 (historical average of 1), practically in line with the average value for this month. In wind generation, conditions were especially favourable, with the corresponding index registering 1.18 (historical average of 1). 

In the year to date, the hydropower capability index stood at 0.98 (historical average of 1), whereas the wind-power capability index stood at 0.92 (historical average of 1). In this period, renewable production supplied 56% of consumption, broken down into 24% for hydropower, 23% for wind power, 7% for biomass and about 3% for photovoltaics. Non-renewable production supplied 39% of consumption, mainly with natural gas, with coal accounting for around 3% of consumption. The foreign trade balance supplied the remaining 5% of the domestic consumption.

The natural gas market also showed a negative year-on-year variation of 3.9%, as a result of drops of 1% in the conventional segment and of 8% in the power production segment.  At the end of October, the accumulated annual consumption fell by 1.7%, with the conventional segment showing a decline of 5.4% and the power production segment growing 5%.


Receive all the details of the operation,
trends and news we share
with all the energy.

Frequency *